MGS NGGDPP Grants
CURRENT NGGDPP GRANT
MGS submitted its eleventh National Geological and Geophysical Data Preservation Program (NGGDPP) grant application in February 2018, and was notified in March 2018 that the proposal was fully funded. The NGGDPP is administered by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The current FY2018 NGGDPP grant cycle runs from September 1, 2018 – August 31, 2019 and funds preservation activities for both the Aerial Photograph Collection and the Rock Cuttings Collection. These tasks specifically include:
- Perform a quality assurance/quality check (QA/QC) of ~8,950 internal aerial photograph database records which correspond to Components 2-10 in the MGS Aerial Photograph Collection;
- Re-house the corresponding ~8,950 paper aerial photographs into appropriate archival boxes/folders;
- Update the National Digital Catalog (NDC) with newly updated metadata records for these nine components; and
- Transfer the ~8,950 paper aerial photographs to a Maryland State Archives (MSA) facility for permanent storage.
- Perform a detailed inventory of ~ 550 boxes of rock cuttings;
- Populate the internal rock cuttings database with detailed metadata records;
- Submit NGGDPP-compliant metadata records to NDC; and
- While performing the inventory, re-inforce boxes/envelopes or re-house the cuttings as appropriate.
UPCOMING NGGDPP GRANT
According to the USGS, the FY19 NGGDPP grant announcement will be posted in December 2018.
SUMMARY OF NGGDPP GRANT ACTIVITIES
Please click on the links below to view Final Technical Reports (FTRs) which document the tasks completed during each NGGDPP grant cycle.
- FY2008 FTR (2008-2009)
- FY2009 FTR (2009-2010)
- FY2010 FTR (2010-2011)
- FY2011 FTR (2011-2012)
- FY2012 FTR (2012-2013)
- FY2013 FTR (2013-2014)
- FY2014 FTR (2014-2015)
- FY2015 FTR (2015-2016)
- FY2016 FTR (2016-2017)
Data Preservation InquiriesFor more information regarding MGS NGGDPP grants and associated activities, please contact:
Ms. Katie Knippler – 410-554-5543, email@example.com